Saturday, January 3

Boot Camp

Yes, my older baby brother is going away to boot camp. I have always wanted to refer to him as my baby brother, but he is actually older than me... so that explains the descriptor.

We always had Justin pegged for military service. It was something that just fit for him. After he got older, we knew that window had closed and he would just have to be content gathering up an arsenal and living in the boonies in Idaho (no this is not something out of Deliverance). Once, when he was 28 he went to the good ole USMC and tried to join up. He was 5 days too late. They told him if he had signed a contract before he actually turned 28 he would have been good to go. Another time, he attempted to join the Coast Guard and they told him the same thing, "Sorry, dude. You're just too old."

Well the US Armed Forces recently changed their age limits. The USMC changed to 32, still not quite high enough. However, the Army changed their age limit to 42. I think Justin went in the day after he found out they had changed the age limit. He is all signed up and ready to go. He leaves January 15th. He is doing basic at Ft Knox in TN and is contracted to come out as an E3. He has a degree, so not sure why he is not going officer, other than maybe at his age he can only go enlisted. Or maybe the position that he is going after is enlisted only? I don't know. He's going to be a Calvary Scout.

Next week, Justin and my mom are showing up (can you feel the joy in my words) to deliver Little Bear to me. Little Bear is a 6 year old Yellow Labrador who is much more spastic than Hershey ever thought about being. hahahahahahah I am actually looking forward to Justin and Bear being here; it's my mom's visit that worries me. I get really tense when she's in my home. I feel so judged. Like every dang thing in my home is not good enough.

So, that's the news at my house. On another front, my house is finally put together. I've not registered for classes yet, so I might be taking underwater basket weaving or some crazy crap, who knows.

Oh! Will one of you wonderfully talented ladies explain to me how I can personalize my blog? Your pages are all so pretty and mine is just lame (this is the story of my life). Thanks!

Happy New Year, everyone. Much love to you all...

5 comments:

  1. I want you all to notice the time stamp on that post....

    6:27am. I've been up about an hour, too. I went to sleep about 1:30am. "Morgan, why would you be up at such an ungodly hour?" you ask. Well, that's because my husband is bound and determined to get his gold jump wings and is doing THREE jumps today. I was promised a status email as soon as he was done. It's now nearly 6pm there and I've heard nothing. Do you think I'm worried? hahaha NOT.AT.ALL. I am perfectly calm. I swear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited for your brother - way to go! I'm excited to hear stories about the spastic puppy, too. =)

    Okay, for your blog. There are three things, and it sounds super complicated, but it's not...so read carefully!

    a) you can go to edit layout and pick a premade blogger template. you can also tweak the colors and fonts of your blog back there.

    b) you can go to scrapblog.com and create a header, save it, publish it, then export as a jpg. to change the blog header (i forgot if you have one or not) you go to edit layout and click on the little "edit" link on the header. choose to put a picture INSTEAD of the header. browse, add...save.

    c) go to cutestblogontheblock.com and pick from bajillions of free premade layouts. =)

    i hope that's as easy as i think it sounds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oops - that's liz...but it's under my mom's account

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear all went well with the gold jump wings :)
    I always hated when Jer jumped too, it is just nerve wracking.
    I like the new background. It is perfect for you and Tom.
    I am so happy you got your house together, and you are getting a husband to live in it with you!
    AHAHAHAHAHA, my verification word is "moist" AHAHAHAHAHA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear, Jess. That is funny, I don't care who ya are! It's funnier cus it's you though! hahahahahaha

    ReplyDelete