Monday, April 20

Vegetables

I'm on a quest to try them all. So, here's my list. I am going to italicize the ones I've not heretofore tried. If you have a recipe, send it on! This list isn't that great. There are a few things missing, but the things I know are missing are things I've tried.



Bulb Vegetables

Chives
Garlic
Leeks
Onions
Scallions
Shallots
Water chestnuts
Fruit Vegetables
Avocados
Chayote
Cucumbers
Eggplant
Okra
Olives
Peppers
Squash
Tomatoes
Tomatillos
Inflorescent Vegetables
Artichokes
Broccoli
Broccoli rabe
Cauliflower
Leaf Vegetables
Arugula
Brussels sprouts
Cabbage
Chicory
Chinese cabbage
Collards
Cress
Dandelion nettles
Endive
Lamb's lettuce
Lettuce
Nasturtium
Purslane
Radicchio
Savoy
Sea kale
Sorrel
Spinach
Root Vegetables
Beets
Burdock
Carrots
Celeriac
Malanga

Parsnips
Radishes
Rutabaga
Salsify
Turnips
Stalk Vegetable
Asparagus
Bamboo
Cardoon

Celery
Chard
Fiddlehead
Fennel
Kohlrabi
Tuber Vegetable
Cassava
Crosne
Jerusalem artichoke (I've had pastas made from Jerusalem Artichoke flour, but not used the straight veggie)
Jicama
Potato
Sweet potato
Taro
Yam

3 comments:

  1. Broccoli Rabe...If you like the slight bitterness of spinach, you'll LOVE it. It's one of my faves.

    We have it with penne, Italian sausage and ricotta.

    Throw a few (or several) garlic cloves in 1/3 cup olive oil and sweat out the garlic for fifteen minutes. In another pan, brown sausage slices. Cook the pasta. Chop the BR and sautee it in olive oil with salt and pepper. Toss BR, pasta, sausage and infused OO together and put into a baking dish. Dot with ricotta and bake at 350 until it's crispy and the ricotta is all melty and delish.

    I've made it healthier w/o the infused oil and with those cool little chicken sausages...but as always the full monty is DA BOMB. Mmmmm.

    Honestly, I'm sort of amazed and awed that I know anything at all that you haven't tried!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love spinach. It's some tragic flaw in my taste buds.. hahaha I will definitely try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, Carly has the same tragic flaw. How lucky am I??? Paul and I love that stuff...my iron is always awesome during pg because we go through spinach and bananas like crazy. I dont' know if bananas have anything to do with that...it's just that I'm always buying the two together two or three times a week. =)

    ReplyDelete