Saturday, April 4

The Dirty Thirty

Sounds bad, huh?

It's not. It's what I am reading.


The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
Go Ask Alice (author unknown)
Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell
The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
Lord of the Flies by William Golding
Forever by Judy Blume
Our Bodies, Ourselves by the Boston Women's Health Collective
My Darling, My Hamburger by Paul Zindel
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
Manchild in the Promised Land by Claude Brown
Slaughterhouse-five or, The Children's Crusade by Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
The Learning Tree by Gordon Parks
Black Like Me by John Howard Griffin
The Lottery by Shirley Jackson
One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
A Separate Peace by John Knowles
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey
Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo
Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl by Ann Frank
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
Deliverance by James Dickey
The Good Earth by Pearl Buck
A Hero Ain't Nothin' but a Sandwich by Alice Childress
The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty
A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway
It's OK if You Don't Love Me by Norma Klein

4 comments:

  1. that list made me tired, i need a nap. ah, just kidding, i actually have a lot of those on my e book reader to read at some point in my life, when kids are absent. or when i have time, so probably when kids become absent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is kind of overwhelming to look at in a list like this. I plan on skipping 'Our Bodies Ourselves' because it's basically a text book of female anatomy and I think I am fairly well versed in that.

    I had read most of these books at one point or another in my life, but it is good to read them as an adult with some life-experience and more global knowledge in me.

    Slaughterhouse Five was a whole different book this time around. The first time I took from it, "war makes you crazy." This time I took from it, "Stop and appreciate the moments. You choose the moments in which you reside for the rest of your life." Black and white.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh! I love so many of those books! I love Paul Zindel. Not enough people read Paul Zindel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darling, I am going to gmail you a short story by Leonid Andreyev - spoooooky stuff! hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete