Friday, November 14

Yum, yum, yum (aka do NOT make these)

In St Louis, they have a regional favorite called the gooey butter cake. It's quite good. A St Louisian posted this recipe on a forum I frequent. I made them tonight. They're very, very good. Make you get a tummy ache good.

Gooey Butter Cookies

1 stick butter, softened (not margarine - do you have to say that anymore? Are people still eating that plastic stuff?)

8 oz. cream cheese - room temperature

1/2 tsp. vanilla extract (I used more cus I always do)

1 egg

1 18 oz. box Duncan Hinds golden butter cake mix

powdered sugar

Mix together butter, cream cheese, vanilla and egg, then add cake mix and blend well. Chill dough for several hours or overnight; dough is easier to work with when it's chilled.

Heat oven to 400. Roll chilled dough into 1 inch (or smaller - do NOT make them bigger) balls; roll in powdered sugar before dropping onto greased cookie sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes; Until starting to turn golden on top. Remove cookies from sheet and transfer to racks to cool. Sprinkle additional powdered sugar on top of cookies. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. o.
    m.
    G.

    you had me at the first two ingredients! i thinki just gained five pounds reading the recipe. YUM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I WILL SO MAKE THESE!!! That is IF I can find a boxed caked mix here... possibly in the mini commissary at the Embassy but I'm not holding my breath for a particular KIND of boxed cake mix. Sigh... well my thighs will be better for it anyway :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are really so good.

    Chelle - I am sure any yellow cake mix would work. I don't know why they said Duncan Hinds Butter whatever...

    If you cannot locate a cake mix, I will ship you some. It's worth it.

    I was thinking today, you could roll these in a sugar/nutmeg mixture to make a holiday cookie or you could not roll them in sugar at all for a mild cookie that's not too sweet. They're very basic in flavor, like a sugar cookie, kind of, but so much better. They are chewy and soft and omg... they are wonderful. I'm going to go eat 2 or 12 more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know that one! I make the pumpkin version for Thanksgiving and yeah, any yellow cake mix works..... Awesome recipe!!!! I can't have that stuff in the house, but of course, Thanksgiving is holiday so those calories don't count much.

    ReplyDelete